Thursday, August 20, 2009

My First-First Day of Kindergarten

As another teacher said to me later this afternoon, "you will now never have another first "first day."  I made it through my first day as a teacher!  Wow.  It seems like it has been a long time in the making.  It was GREAT first day.  I didn't have any criers except for a brief moment in the middle of the day when one girl got a little overwhelmed by it all and teared up a teensy bit.  She recovered very quickly though so I'm not going to count it.  They all showed up right on time and for the most were a little shy.  A few chatterboxes that can't seem to get the idea of waiting their turn to talk but I really think it is going to be a great class.  They listened pretty well and we made it through the day without anyone getting hurt, getting lost, crying, or having an accident.  

We also didn't get much done except the rules, reading 1 book, part of calendar, putting their supplies away, recess, and a little bit of play time in the classroom.  I only had 1 boy manage to sneak his supplies home at the end of the day and nobody got lost.  I almost didn't get 1 child on the bus, but I remembered at the last minute and because one of the buses broke down and things were running slow, he made it right on time.  Getting everyone in the right place at the end of the day is definitely the most chaotic.  1 boy doesn't like to play at recess and 1 tends to wander aimlessly around the classroom but I don't think anyone said anything really funny or off the wall.  Shucks.   They had a lot of questions, and it is going to be very easy for me to forget that I have to explain EVERYTHING and I think that's why the 3 hours felt like 6.  I was wiped by the time everyone was finally gone.  Big day tomorrow with PBIS school tours and demonstrations.  Thankfully, no extra work for me.  This weekend, PLANNING.  BIG planning.  

Oh yeah, and when I come home, I moved out of G&Gs and into the apartment with Bethany.  Whew.  I am going to sleep like a baby.  There are still a few things like sweatshirts and my printer at Prairie Ridge but I will stop and get them tomorrow.  For now, I just really wanted something to sleep in and stuff to make a lunch for tomorrow.  Now, if only I could figure out how to plan centers . . . 

2 comments:

  1. Hooray!! Now we can hear your stories without having to wonder when is a good time to call. Great idea. I'll still have to hear your voice every so often, but keep on writing! And have fun with the planning now that you know a bit about the characters you teach.
    very happy with you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first days are exhausting with so many 5 year olds!! I was in a kindergarden class for 30 minutes each day and I remember the scene. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete